Lasagna: The Perfect Comfort Food
Lasagna is a quintessential comfort food. We don’t know what you think, but the Gaucho Squad considers a lasagna as one of the best foods in the world. Who can refuse a mouthwatering dish made of stacked layers of thin flat pasta with meat, tomato sauce and an insane amount of cheese? We don’t!
Feed a Crowd
Besides being a delicious dish. It’s a simple recipe to follow and an excellent way to feed your entire family. And if for some reason there are any leftovers, this meal freezes and reheats well without compromising the flavor.
Lau’s Meat Lasagna Recipe
In a previous blog, our dear Lau indulged us with her exquisite lamb empanadas. This time, she decided to share another fantastic recipe. And you guessed it, it’s her tasty meat lasagna recipe made with 100% grass-fed skirt steak beef from our Grill Boutique.
This lasagna recipe yields 8 portions of 12 oz each. This recipe is excellent for meal planning and portion control, just assemble the servings individually in an airtight container. Know it’s time to learn how to make this great recipe.
- Lasagna Pasta
- 1 2-pack Skirt Steak Burgers (1lb)
- 1 red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 fresh tomatoes (skinless)
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 bacon strips
- Shredded cheese mix: Mozzarella, Gouda, Aged Cheddar & Parmesan
- Fresh Parsley
For the Béchamel Sauce:
- 1 stick butter
- 8 tbsp all purpose flour
- Approx. 3 cups milk
- Salt & Pepper
- Ground nutmeg
- In a large pan, drizzle olive oil and 3 minced garlic and toast it. Add burgers and break them apart using a wooden spoon. Add salt, pepper and spices. Add minced bacon. Cook until brown and crunchy and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add minced onions, peppers and remaining garlic. Cook until soft, about 10 min. Add salt, pepper and spices.
- Integrate the meat mix to the pan, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and broth. Stir until all is incorporated. Let simmer until desired consistency. We are looking for a thicker consistency. Let cool.
- For the Béchamel sauce, use a deep pot, melt 1 stick of butter with 8 tbsp of flour, cook the mix for about 5-6 minutes, whisk continuously making sure it doesn’t burn. Start adding the milk little by little until you reach the desired consistency, add salt, pepper and ground nutmeg. Whisk it until smooth, beware of lumps! Let cool.
- Whilst your mixtures are cooling off, boil salt water to make the pasta. Cook the pasta and drain it about 3 minutes before it’s done, it’ll finish cooking in the oven.
- Pre-heat the oven at 400F.
- Assembly time! On each container put a spoon of red sauce and a spoon of white sauce, put a layer of pasta, red sauce, white sauce, shredded cheese, pasta, red, white, cheese and repeat. Top it off with more cheese and your lasagna is ready for the oven! If you are cooking in advance, this is the time to cover the lasagna, freeze it and save it for later.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese browns. Serve with minced fresh parsley on top.